The Phoenix Cinema is an independent, not-for-profit cinema owned and run by a charitable trust on behalf of the people of North London. Its historic building with Edwardian and art deco features is listed Grade II.
The Phoenix first opened in 1910 as “The East Finchley Picturedrome”, offering ‘the world’s finest picture plays’. It has been open as a cinema since and is believed to be the oldest purpose-built continuously serving cinema in the UK – it has never been a bingo hall, snooker hall or dark even during two World Wars. It was one of the first cinemas in London to introduce sound films in 1929 when it was known as the “Coliseum”.
Today, the cinema continues to be renowned for its varied programming with many community events, including a fortnightly free dementia friendly screening.
It is a truly independent cinema – it does not receive any public grants or subsidy at all and relies completely on its own income. A recently completed refurbishment has restored the original expanse of the foyer space and made it fit for its second century.