Art Diamonds is a programme of activities for retired people to improve wellbeing and reduce social isolation through a wide range of creative workshops and events in Gateshead Libraries. Strands of the project include:
- Art workshops in libraries led by artists
- Drop in sessions in libraries led by Libraries and Arts staff
- Weekly creative challenges inspired by our partnership with 64millionartists
- Visits to local galleries and venues
- Monthly newsletters with news and creative ideas.
- Make and share sessions for members to socialise and share skills.
Since lockdown we have tried to keep in touch with our 170+ Art Diamonds through a fortnightly emailed newsletter sharing each other’s creative activities, links to art ideas to try at home and films by local artists with inspiration for projects. We have written to those Art Diamonds who don’t have email and keep in touch by phone with members too. Our creative writing group now have fortnightly challenges to inspire them with feedback sent by their tutor and our Facebook group, set up at the start of lockdown now has over 50 members. We have also posted out art packs to members with activities to try at home.
We look forward to the time we can safely start to meet up again for socially distant activities but will keep in touch with our Art Diamonds until then. For further details contact -
Karolynne Hart, Cultural Arts & Programme Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org